Continuing with the update... We had a free day last Sunday and so nearly everyone went into the city. We started off with a fairly large group, but we ended up breaking off somehow and ended up w/ just five of us. It was actually really nice to have a smaller group because we moved around places a lot faster and there were a lot less people to accommodate. I was with my cute roommate, Morgan; Kelsey; Johnathon (who was really patient in a group of girls); and Tarah (I haven't talked to her very much so I'm way glad she came so I could get to know her). Most of the other students were going to Aladdin's to exchange money, and we didn't want to get stuck in a huge line, so we headed for the Old City first.
First, we climbed the 'Hill of Calvary' via these stairs:
![]() |
| (These are the stairs that put Vickie's to shame) |
| Touching the spot where Christ was crucified. |
When we went back upstairs we could hear a lot of singing and bells from all of the different church services going on inside the building. (A lot of different denominations 'own' areas of the Church) We eventually found one of the services in the little room that is by the entrance to the tomb we had gone in the day before. We watched the singing and chanting going on for awhile, and I must say it was pretty intense. Everyone around us was chiming in during different parts of the singing, and we just stood there like the dumb tourists we were. The incense was also really strong, and Johnathon speculated that the incense probably causes some of the special 'feelings' they have during these services. Excellent point, if you ask me. When we were getting ready to leave, a lady behind me pulled me aside and told me that the language they were all speaking was Aramaic, which was the language Jesus spoke. I kinda wish I would have known that sooner because for some reason I just assumed they were speaking in Greek. Probably would have made it even cooler to listen to if I had known that.
![]() |
| Greek Orthodox (I think?) service we attended by the tomb of Joseph of Aramathea |
| One of the supposed tombs in the Holy Sepulchre where Jesus was laid. |
| This painting is seen when you look up from the center of the world. Christ's eyes are directly over the center, allowing Him to look down on it, as well as the rest of the world. |
| Touching the center of the world |
Then we went to the Lutheran Church of the Redeemer, which is close by the Holy Sepulchre and represents the Prostestant denominations in the Holy Land. We wanted to climb the tower, but it was closed for the day so we settled for looking around.
![]() |
| Tower of the Lutheran Church of the Redeemer |
![]() |
| Inside one of the rooms in the Lutheran Church. (Yes, I am rocking a fanny pack. I dare you to use one and see how dang convenient they are.) |
We went to East Jerusalem to exchange our money for shekels and made our way to Omar's to look around. He sells wood carvings and, while they are a little expensive, they look amazing. The best part is that since he mostly sells to the 'mormons', he has a lot of Mormon-themed carvings. He had just finished a carving of the Mormon pioneers and he also had Nephi, Captain Moroni, Joseph, Emma, and tons of others. It's gonna take me forever to decide what (if) i wanna get anything from him.
For our last stop of the day, we went to Zedekiah's Cave. This is under the Old City and is where they quarried (is that a even a verb?) the stones for the walls of the Old City. The best part? It was SO much cooler inside. And quiet. Small piece of heaven.
| Entrance to Zedekiah's Cave. (Props to Johnathon for taking the picture and therefore failing to be in it.) |






4 comments:
Aren't you going to explain what these are? Captioning? Hope you are having fun! We miss seeing you! Love ya!
Thanks for the story! I am sure you were working on it! Looks like you are having an awesome experience! I think it's funny you always find a Kelsie in your travels!
great pics! I love the sticker that carver has! hahha! classic.
Post a Comment